Monday, October 14, 2013

At the table or on the table?





I was able to go to Washington DC in September to meet with representatives of Congress across minority and majority groups – House and Senate, as well as the Department of Education.  The first challenge for me is to try to work with the awe-factor that is immediately induced by the witness of monuments, the Capitol building, and the feeling of power in the air.  I have to remember – in one way, this is just someone’s workplace. 

But in another – it is the fulcrum that will pivot our nation based upon policies it chooses to adopt….or not.

I vividly recall my first years of teaching, head down, trying to get from day to day.  And with all the changes upon education, I can’t imagine ever feeling much different than that.  What I didn’t understand was the impact of federal and state policies on my day-to-day practice.  Only later in my career did I really feel an obligation to better understand these policies and become vocal about their adoption.

In a hallway conversation yesterday, a colleague told me that developing lessons to be formally observed under our state’s current evaluation model added, on average, about 9 additional work hours in the district she visited.  Still – even knowing that – I had the gall to ask, “Why aren’t more teachers involved in policy?  What are they doing that is more important?”  One of my students cheekily replied, “Nine hours of lesson planning for their evaluations.”

Touché.

So, educators are becoming increasingly consumed by the time-costs of mandates, and decreasingly able to participate in policy conversations about those very mandates?  Fantastic.  Great recipe.

My boss said in meeting last week, “I’d rather be at the table than on the table.”  So, I have found some ways to get to the table.  I’d like to share them with you.

No one can keep up with everything, but the ASCD has help for you.  You can do as little or as much as you are ready and willing to do.  If you go to the website below, you can become an “Educator Advocate.”  You will get a weekly newsletter that gives overviews of key issues for teachers, email alerts on issues where you can make a difference, and see other opportunities that are ready for you when you are ready for them.  (One I suggest – LILA:  Leadership Institute for Legislative Advocacy.  At the end of January – only a couple days – and they teach you most of what you need to jump into the politics of education.  Last time I went, I met with my state senators and representatives personally.)

Hope to see you at the table!
Suzann

No comments:

Post a Comment