Sunday, September 1, 2013

WILL #1


What I Learned Lately (WILL 13/14 #1) by Dr. Josh Garcia (@Garciaj9Josh)

Throughout my travels and in my reflections this summer, I have become fascinated by the words we use to describe our world, our lives and our dreams.  

James MacGregor Burns defined leaderships as, "Leadership is leaders inducing followers to act for certain goals that represent the values and the motivations-the wants and needs, the aspirations and expectations- of both leaders and followers.  And the genius of leadership lies in the manner in which leaders see and act on their own and their follower's values and motivations".

As we go into a new school year, have we defined or redefined what leadership is for us individually and collectively?  Do we know the goals which represent our values and motivations?  Finally, do we know our followers well enough to ensure that we are acting on their behalf?

There are many days when I struggle to find where I belong and many days I can find where I went wrong.  When I think of what we as a Nation our attempting to do for every child within our borders, I am not sure I feel more pain for what still has to be done or pleasure for the opportunity to participate in such a noble cause. Throughout the unknown and the certainty of what I have not yet got right, I remain resolute to our students, our community and our team.  As educators (teachers, administrators, support staff), we cannot be divided against ourselves.  Our commitment to every child must be in trusted to each of us and we must conduct ourselves with such firm conviction knowing no one else, cares or works as hard as we do to reach every child.

The new school year is here and we have an opportunity to positively change lives.  As we collectively fight to fulfill the “Dream”, I wish you all the best.  Make no mistake, it is with pride and complete faithfulness that I walk with you.    

Finally by Stella Stuart

Why Should I Fear?    
“Behind me is infinite power.
Before me is endless possibility.
Around me is boundless opportunity.
Why should I fear?”


No comments:

Post a Comment