Saturday, September 28, 2013

Am I making the right decision?

When I take a photo on my smartphone, I quickly apply different filters to determine which one makes the photo look better. Some filters tweak the photo just a bit to make it look more polished. Other filters drastically change the photo - for better or worse.

As a leader, this makes me think about the filters I apply to decisions each day. I've learned to draw from a tool belt of "filters" and I think this makes me a more effective leader. 

Filter 1: How does my decision align with my personal mission and values?
I've learned visionary leaders are grounded in their personal values & mission. At the end of the day, I'm owning my decision and it has to align with my personal beliefs. I have learned to keep my personal mission and values at the forefront of my decisions.

Filter 2: How does my decision align with the shared mission, vision, and values of my organization?
It is essential for schools, districts, businesses, teams, and organizations to have a shared, mission, vision, and values that have been collectively developed and continuously communicated with stakeholders. I have learned to use this foundational filter each day.

Filter 3: What research-based filters have other leaders used in similar situations?
Here is a table of my "go to" research-based filters that I use on a regular basis. I tried to categorize them a bit and some filters overlap into many areas I didn't list. 

Filter 4: Who else?
Sometimes decisions are made in a split second and other times they're discussed for hours on end. Who else should I consult? Who else knows about this stuff? Who else has experience in this area? I use the insights of others in order to inform decisions that (hopefully!) result in a better outcome that meets our target objective.

Unlike applying filters to a photo, the key leadership piece is that no filter alone is perfect for my unique decision. It is by drawing on experience, research, and others that I become a leader who most effectively shapes the future.

Cross posted: http://edge.ascd.org/_Am-I-making-the-right-decision/blog/6551290/127586.html

No comments:

Post a Comment