Monday, September 23, 2013

WILL #4


What I Learned Lately (WILL 13/14 #4) by Dr. Josh Garcia (@Garciaj9Josh)

I was thinking today about life.  I doubt that the students that I faithfully serve know me.  Which is a good thing, they have far more important things to occupy their time.  Yet, for me they run through my veins like my own, un-separable from my daily existence.  I often wonder what my students see on a daily basis.  Do they see the same injustices of our society as I do?  This week my experiences have reminded me of the reality of race in our country.  Three times this week, that I am aware of, people have judged me by my appearance and or name.  As I walk through the “real world” (outside of schools), I am often judged by my physical appearance and often by my last name.  For me this is nothing new, throughout my life, I have watched my family be denied medical services, fight to clear up “records” that are not their own (because we share a similar name) and be questioned if they can qualify for purchases.  When we see the students in our schools, what lens do we see them through?

This week I was involved in a community conversation about race, racism and institutional racism.  straight forth conversation about these topics can become very emotional.  We can be defensive and or aggressive based on our experiences.  However, it is the experiences of our ancestors that have helped shape our current realities.  Whether we as individuals have anymalice intent or not, there are historical barriers and systems thatare perpetuating racial power struggles in our society.  Although many can agree what race is, how many of us agree on what racism is?  Can we not define it and work to eradicate it like a disease?  I have yet to find a major philanthropist who has openly come out to provide financial and resource support to the effort of removing racism from our society?  In 2013, do we have the courage and urgency to have a conversation about racism in public education?  Are we still paralyzed by not wanting to offend our colleagues or community?  In our schools do we have a common definition of what racism is?  If not, how we will work to eliminate the institutional racism that has been in our school systems for over 100 years?  

In schools, let us take the lead by creating liberated zones.  We can lead the conversation by becoming anti-racist institutions.  We can begin by identifying the institutional barriers that arefostering policies, programs, practices and beliefs of racism.  Through ongoing conversations and shared meaning of racism, we can begin to operationalize the undoing of racism and ultimately operationalize equality.   We need to begin to create a space for students, staff and families to share their voices, as painful as it may be for us to hear.  If we can begin by focusing on the essence of the points and not argue the minor details, I believe we can learn from our history and not let it define our future.  I urge us to start locally and we will ultimately make impacts globally.

I wish there was a formula and or a one size fits all approach to eliminating racism.  However, I am not aware of one.  I do know this will be a struggle for everyone who has the courage toengage in anti-racist efforts.  As educators, our students are counting on us to have courageous conversations.  When we examine data and our results, it is disrespectful to be color blind.  As educators do we spend time identify which programs, policies, procedures and practices are barriers and which ones are designed to remove the institutional racism?  For me, the inspiration comes from knowing that the answer and the challenge lies in the mirror.  I look forward to looking in the mirror with you.

Finally by Langston Hughes “Go Slow”

Go slow, they say-
while the bite
Of the dog is fast.
Go slow, I hear-
While they tell me
You can't eat here!
You can't live here!
You can't work here!
Don't Demonstrate! Wait!-
While they lock the gate.
Am I supposed to be God,
Or an angel with wings
And a halo on my head
While jobless I starve to dead?
Am I supposed to forgive
And meekly live
Going slow, slow, slow,
Slow, slow, slow,
Slow, slow,
Slow,
Slow,
Slow?
????
???
??
  


Cross posted: http://edge.ascd.org/_WILL-1314-4/blog/6550104/127586.html?b= 

No comments:

Post a Comment