Sunday, December 22, 2013

Shaping my Leadership DNA

The other week I was at an event and I sat next to a doctor who specializes in genetics. The doctor shared with me that when a woman is pregnant with a baby boy, it literally changes her DNA and bone marrow. The woman no longer only has female chromosomes but carries both male and female chromosomes for the rest of her life. The woman, now a mother who carries unseen DNA from her child, is forever changed.

This made me wonder:

What experiences and relationships have shaped my Leadership DNA? What experiences and relationships have forever changed me as a leader?

I believe my Leadership DNA consists of my Definition of leadership, personal missioN, & core vAlues. My Leadership DNA impacts my daily decisions and actions.

I think of major projects that I currently lead or have worked on in the past. More than that, I consider everything goes into making my projects successful time and again. I think of the people who coached me along the way and taught me what it means to be a leader. I recall lessons people taught me when they probably weren't even trying to help me learn. I also think about lessons that seemed uniquely, purposefully crafted just for me. I am reminded of the patience people have shown me throughout my life.

I reflect on the tough questions I have been - and am still - asked by mentors, students, families, supervisors, professors, and friends. I often hate these questions in the moment! However, I relish in them as time goes on. I even find myself looking in the mirror and asking these same tough questions in different contexts over time.

I am happy that my Leadership DNA is forever changed because of the people I've gotten to know and the experiences I've had throughout my personal and professional life! As I look toward 2014, I feel the weight of wonderment:
What experiences and relationships might shape my Leadership DNA in the new year? How will I make sure I am aware of my Leadership DNA in the new year? How will I communicate with actions, words, and more, what I believe? How will I provide insight about my Leadership DNA to those with whom I collaborate? How will I continue providing recent evidence that articulates what drives me? How will I be forever changed, and how will I forever change the lives of others?

I invite you to continue Learning & Leading alongside the WSASCD Emerging Leaders as we share what shapes our Leadership DNA in 2014. Thank you for joining in our journeys!

Cross-Posted: http://edge.ascd.org/_Shaping-my-Leadership-DNA/blog/6560512/127586.html

No comments:

Post a Comment