Sunday, December 8, 2013

WILL #11

What I Learned Lately (WILL 13/14 #11) by by Dr. Josh Garcia @Garciaj9Josh
12/6/2013
“A time of peace.”

The more I explore a topic and subject it to the mental scrutiny of reflection, the more I come to understand the iceberg that it truly is.  The term “peace” has captured me in recent days.  Like many others, I have seen and/or heard the word “peace” almost everywhere I go.  “Peace” is personalized in the most heartfelt moments and commercialized by the season.  This week, after the loss of one of our students, I found myself using the word in my silent prayer for the family.  Almost immediately, I was paralyzed by the reality of how hard peace is to come by and what a gift it truly is.  Peace: freedom from disturbance; quiet and tranquility.

End Of The Day 1In the complexity of investigating and defining a topic like peace, one comes to understand that peace is not only the daily interactions with others but also one’s interactions with self.  The absence from disturbance of emotional and physical pain and suffering is extremely difficult to come by.  The freedom that silence and tranquility bring to the human spirit may be the greatest gift.  In life it is impossible to eschew disturbance completely.  Our culture is in a constant state of “becoming”, it is not finished and this change will often cause a disturbance for some.  However, my personal optimism rests on my belief in the individuals’ infinite possibility to develop peace within in themselves.  You see, I have come to realize, peace cannot be bought, sold, or even an appeal to the brain.  Rather it must be cultivated by the heart.  In our daily work, for our students, for our society, we must relentlessly seek to find other caring individuals that understand our work.  We must teach them that it is not only our job to cultivate learning but also cultivate peace, a quiet and tranquil heart among those we serve.  In a time when gifts are exchanged to show our appreciation for each other, may peace be with you, those who you live for, and those who you serve by and with.

Finally from The Dalai Lama,
May the poor find wealth,
Those weak with sorrow find joy.
May the forlorn find hope,
Constant happiness and prosperity.
 
May the frightened cease to be afraid,
And those bound be free.
May the weak find power,
And may their hearts join in friendship.

Cross-posted: http://edge.ascd.org/_What-I-Learned-Lately-WILL-1314-11/blog/6559594/127586.html

No comments:

Post a Comment