Saturday, January 18, 2014

WILL #13

What I Learned Lately (WILL 13/14 #13) by by Dr. Josh Garcia

1/17/2014
“Afraid To Look into the Mirror”

As we enter a new year, many of us set new goals, establish new commitments and or renew old ones.  Often, I am asked what my resolution is for the New Year.  In the past few weeks, I have been struggling with establishing a “new” goal or a new way.  I have been struggling so much that I have not really been able look into the mirror or write about what I have learned.  I have been afraid to be honest with myself: what I have I done for our students; what have I not done for our students; why have I chosen not to do these things; what is my plan to actually act on the data that I have?  Each day, I make a decision on how much of “me” that I will bring out of the car to our shared work.  This decision is often based not only on my ability to examine the issue/s but also what is my plan to act, review, and respond and then act again.

I have learned that getting clear with our expectations, commitments and results is courageous work.  I know “hope” is not a strategy, but I often hope I have the courage to be the best “me”.  I hope that I will bring enough of “me” out of the car to be honest with myself and others about our shared results.  I hope that I can be clear enough to communicate that there is not “a single plan” that is the right answer, but there better be at least “a” plan.  We should be able to articulate our plan to improve our student outcomes with confidence and trust.  In previous learnings my “dream” has remained steadfast – each child, every day - safe, healthy, supported, engaged and challenged.  My relentless effort to work side by side with you on behalf of our students has grown even stronger.  We don’t need a new plan, we just need to be relentless at being a better “us”.  We must have the courage to not leave any of “us” in the car.  We must be honest about our results and be committed to act upon our data.  We must do this not only for our students and colleagues, but also for ourselves.

Finally from Jack Paar,
Looking back, my life seems like one long obstacle race, with me as the chief obstacle

Cross-posted from: http://edge.ascd.org/_What-I-Learned-Lately-WILL-131413/blog/6561506/127586.html

No comments:

Post a Comment