Sunday, January 26, 2014

WILL #14

What I Learned Lately (WILL 13/14 #14) by by Dr. Josh Garcia

1/24/2014
“I am, because of you - ubuntu”

Recently, I have been fascinated with the criticism that our society continues to embrace, not only in public education but in every aspect of our culture.  Rather than recognize ideas are better than what we currently have, we have become quick to minimize efforts because they are not good “enough” or the “right one”.  Additionally, there is the “credit vampires”, those who want credit for an idea or effort to ensure others don’t receive the attention for their contributions.  Like piranhas feeding, the negative energy can get violent.

As I have stopped to reflect, I have noticed that many of the criticisms come from a small number of very vocal individuals and that the vast majority of people are truly trying to just keep out of the feeding frenzy.  I fear this culture is paralyzing our innovation.  Many of you may have played the game “whack a mole”.  It is game where the contestant has a big hammer and tries to smack a small mole popping out of various holes.  After a few seconds, the mole goes faster and faster.  As the game progresses, more moles begin to pop out and it is impossible to hit them all.  The mole and
the hammer are entangled in a relationship.  Is there hammer because there is a need to smash the mole or is there a mole because there is a need to “brake” the hammer?

This past few week I stopped, reflected and examined a few leaders that I have respected and few others that have thrust themselves into the spot light recently.  I examined what they taught me, what they say daily and why they keep popping up.  Many of them have been called innovators at some point and at other points they been called trouble makers.  Here is what I have learned from them.

  1. Never lose your identity, yet accept responsibility for the unintentional consequences of your actions.
  2. Always be intentional, through the brightest and darkest hours.
  3. Be humble when needed, but be clear about what you are humbled by.
  4. Your actions speak louder than your words.
  5. Integrity is a badge earned though your clarity, not something that can be bestowed upon you.
  6. Empathy is a way of life not a moment in time.
  7. Courage comes through thoughtful and rigorous training and strategy.  When the time is needed to display courage, it is the difference between reckless and responsibility.


There are many days, where I few like the mole.  I think many of our students and staff members feel the same.  This week it finally hit me, at some point the person with the hammer runs out of tokens, gets too tired and or loses interest.  The hammer never truly wins.  Yesterday, I saw the mole as the victim, today I see the mole as the innovator, relentlessly popping up.  The mole knows that the longer the game goes on, the more moles will join in.  I know life is more than a game, yet today I hope more moles will begin to pop up on behalf of our students.  Today, I am a mole because there is still a hammer…

Finally from Francis William Bourdillion,
The Night has a thousand eyes,
And the day but one;
Yet the light of the bright world dies
With the dying sun.

The Mind has a thousand eyes,
And the heart but one;
Yet the light of a whole life dies
When love is done

No comments:

Post a Comment