Sunday, November 3, 2013

WILL #7

What I Learned Lately (WILL 13/14 #7) by Dr. Josh Garcia (@Garciaj9Josh)

What Does Love Have To Do With It? 


Early one morning this week, before anyone was up and the first cup of coffee was even sipped, my son asked me if I loved my job.  I smiled and said yes, thinking that this would be the end of the conversation.  I was wrong… Like I was being sprayed with a fire hose, he hit me in rapid fire with the following:
How can you love going to all those meetings?  How can you love something that make you so tired? How can you love people who make you mad?  How can you love something that makes you cry?  How can you love something people are talking bad about?  How can you love something, people are fighting against?  How can you love something so big?  How can you love something that is so hard to explain?  How can you love something when you see people die and be hurt?  How can you love something that makes you spend time away from us? 

I took a “big drink of coffee” and smiled, thinking to myself “wow, you are thinking about some heavy stuff for being so young and so early in the morning.  I asked him, “Why are you asking all these questions”. He looked at me with pure clarity and said, “Dad you fight for them like you fight for us”.

What did I learn this week?  I learned that even though it may not be politically correct, that it is ok to love your work, the people you serve and the people who you work with.  Most of this week, I have reflected on my son’s questions and I know I am not alone in my love.  I am proud of our schools and the people that work in them.  I am proud of our city and its commitment to getting better and supporting our students.  On this cold, foggy Friday, I proud to say, “I Love Tacoma”.   
Finally from Merriam-Webster,
Love,
a (1):  strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties

Cross-posted: http://edge.ascd.org/_WILL-1314-7/blog/6554160/127586.html

No comments:

Post a Comment