Friday, November 29, 2013

WILL #9

What I Learned Lately (WILL 13/14 #9) by Dr. Josh Garcia @Garciaj9Josh

11/4/2013
“The First Quarter”

We are nine weeks into the school year.  This means we have approximately 135 days left to reach every student and ensure they have grown academically and socially and emotionally.  This is a fascinating time of year.  In many cases we are coming off the high opening schools.  The new students and new colleagues have settled in and we have begun to identify what works and what doesn’t based on a variety of variables.  This is also the time of year when we have the pressure and celebration of the holiday season.  For many this can be a time of thanks and for others it is a time of struggle.  I am reminded of the complexity of emotions for not only our students but also staff.  Add to this complexity, there is the “real world” of politics, economics, health issues and general everyday life.  Just writing this, I can feel my chest tighten…
Young Generation 2
Like many of our students, this is the time where I want to either take flight or fight.  For me, the tension gets so thick that I feel I want to crawl out of my skin.  The challenge of fighting for change, the desire to want to run from difficult conversations, the reality that many of our students are struggling academically, cold, hungry and constantly reminded of what they don’t have.  Although I am aware of this tension, I am left to think about how much I can push without breaking myself or those who also serve our students.  I know there is sweet spot during this time for all of us.  A spot where we can truly keep moving forward, while celebrating our past, present and future.  Willy Wonka once said, "Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous. So don't be alarmed."  As I think about the next 135 days, I excited to fight for the little surprises that we can create for our students. I leave you with a deep breath and an exhale…


Finally from Emily Dickinson,
“If I Can Stop”
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.


Cross-posted: http://edge.ascd.org/_WILL-1314-9/blog/6555484/127586.html?b=

No comments:

Post a Comment